I suspect the issue is that rg has two ways of handling Control Change messages in a standard MIDI file. CCs at time zero are shown in the MIDI Instrument Parameters Panel. CCs after time zero are simply events in the segments. Those can be viewed using the controller rulers in the matrix and notation editors (and the event editor).

If you have a CC at time zero followed by a CC at a later time, the CC at time zero will be "overridden" when the later CC comes in. So adjusting the CC in the MIDI instrument parameters panel will appear to have no effect. You need to work with the controller rulers instead to edit CCs after time zero. Or you can just delete them all and only work with the one in the instrument parameters. Although that can have some surprising consequences if the track needed those volume CCs.

  As an example to get to the controller rulers from the matrix editor...

- Select a segment.
- Press "m" to launch the matrix.
- In the matrix menu: View > Rulers > Add Control Ruler > Volume Controller.

Hopefully this is helpful. CCs in general are tricky for MIDI sequencers. rg's support is somewhat limited. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Ted.