On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 03:53:09 -0700 (PDT)
jimmy <> wrote:

> > Once you have a low-latency kernel, check related
> > configuration in:
>    /etc/security/limits.conf  , or

all commented out

>    /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf

don't have that one

> Mine had at least:
>
> @audio   -  rtprio     70
> @audio   -  memlock    unlimited
> @audio   -  nice      -10
>

> it means your userid, which start jackd, needs to belong to the groupid
> called "audio".
>
> I think in Debian, the "/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf" portion is done by
> the package manager when jackd2 is configured to use realtime priority.  But
> you need to check the userid that starts up jackd belongs to the audio group.
>  The command "groups" should list all the groupid's that the current user
> belongs to.
>
> This is the "low-latency" configuration portion of a pre-compiled low-latency
> kernel.
>
> You can check to see similar configuration done within the Musix liveCD
> environment.
>
> Again, once you understand all the numerous steps and things which need to be
> in placed, you can configure any Linux distro to do similar thing, but each
> distro may have done things slightly different.  If any of those are out of
> placed, you may not get Linux MIDI to work, or may have numerous problems
> like no sound, latency (out of sync, long delayed note) issues, skipped
> notes...
>
> Jimmy

I tried Musix-2.0 live and installed it when rosegarden just plain worked out
of the box, also installed Ubuntu-Studio but haven't tested it yet, seems
promising. 64studio bombed on reboot twice so something in that one is broke,
anyway with the other two I should be OK.

So thanks for you help one more time. I'll probably back later with small stuff
because unless I move to Debian full time I will still want to set up Suse like
a studio.