On 01/01/2016 03:06 PM, Holger Marzen wrote:

> On my Xubuntu 12.10 LTS I have to tweak CMakeLists.txt:
> - change cmake_minimum_required to (VERSION 2.8.7)
>    Is that high required version really neccessary?

Setting the cmake minimum version was a trade-off between supporting old
distros and features that were painful to avoid.  I don't remember the
details, but there was an elaborate discussion over a couple of weeks
where I pushed to get this set lower and lower, and David reworked
things at my request.  He was a very good sport about this, but I could
only push the founder of KDE so far in support of obsolete technology.

The bright side is that obtaining new versions of CMake for old distros
is rather easy.  Go to https://cmake.org/download/ and if you grab an
appropriate pre-compiled binary for your architecture, it should work
fine.  If not, it's much easier to compile than Rosegarden.  I used to
have to do this myself, years ago.  In the end, I remembered that
precedent from the past, and felt better about requiring such a recent
CMake version.

I should have mentioned something about this in the release note, but I
simply forgot this was going to be an issue.
--
D. Michael McIntyre