On Sat, 9 Jan 2016, Leszek Wroński wrote:

> *BONUS QUESTION*
> Now, this will probably be idiotic, but I need to ask this. Can I somehow
> just play General MIDI instruments? Is this done by Timidity? I fired it up
> but it doesn't show in the 'Audio' menu of Jack, so I can't tell it to
> output any sound to the system.

I recommend installing and loading fluidsynth-dssi into a
Rosegarden-track of type "Synthesizer Plugin". Then load a GM soundfont
into fluidsynth. Most distributions offer the package
fluid-soundfont-gm, a very good soundfont that resides in
/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 after installation.

Using the plugin makes it simple to save the settings with your song and
offers as low latency as possible.

You can find other good soundfonts all over the web.

Regards
Holger