Le mercredi 30 mars 2016, 23:03:12 Ted Felix a écrit :
>    Just finished implementing file locking (see bug #1510) to prevent
> having a file open in two instances of rg.  I would appreciate any
> testing anyone can do.

>    The obvious test case to see the new behavior is to launch rg twice
> and try to open the same file with each instance.

I first tried the obvious case:

 - Open a file in a first RG instance
 - Try to open the same file from an other RG instance
 => Can't open the file in the new instance: a popup with a "could not lock
file" message is displayed.

 - Close the file in the first RG instance
 - Try again to open the file in the second instance
 => file is normally opened.

 - Kill the second instance (Ctrl-C)
 - Try to open the file in the first instance
 => Can't open the file, the popup is displayed.

 - rm the lock file (whose name is given in the popup)
 - Try again to open the file in the first instance
 => file is normally opened.

 - Create a new RG instance
 - Try to open the same file from this new instance
 => Can't open the file, the popup is displayed.

Then I tried a less obvious case:

 - Create a new composition in RG and save it in a file. Keep RG open.
 - Create again a new composition in another RG instance
 - Try to save the last composition in the same file as fhe first one.
 => Can't save the file, the popup is displayed.

 - Try again the same save operation
 => no more popup.

There is now two RG instances able to write alternatively in the same file.

So, except this last problem, it works fine here.

There is a small issue (repeatedly occurring with RG) about UTF8 garbage in
the displayed lock file name when the .rg file uses non ASCII characters (I did
the first test with a file name containing a diacritic).

An other (very) small problem is the "Could not lock file" message which may be
unclear for some users.
An improvment should be to add in the popup a first sentence explaining that
two different RG instances try to access the same file.

Yves