On 12/06/2016 02:50 AM, david wrote:

> I like the sound. It's real vs the slick kinda stuff a lot of people put
> out.

The words that come to my mind are "not overly processed."  That's
largely because I'm not very good at mixing, and I didn't edit out all
of the mistakes.

> Is that your own personal studio setup?

Yes it is.

> One awesome drumset!

That is my baby.  It's a Gretsch Catalina Maple 7-piece, all the
hardware is top of the line Gibraltar, and all the cymbals are Zildjian
A Customs.  I have 16", 18", and 19" crashes, 8" and 10" splashes, 14"
hi-hats, a 20" ride and a 20" China.  I'm running a Remo Ambassador hazy
resonant and a Pinstripe batter on the snare, which gives it an unusual
old school sound.  The toms all have the factory coated Remo heads,
tuned for maximum resonance.

It's weird that I mostly listen to hard rock and metal, but the acoustic
sound I chased is more '70s.  If I want to drum like my favorite bands,
I need to mute the hell out of the toms, and mute the snare even more,
but I really like this sound.  I paid up to get it.  I could have aimed
higher on the shells, but I've seen touring bands with less kit than this.

> Accompanied
> with the coolest looking beard and 'stache. You're certainly the best
> looking trucker I've ever seen.

I'm the only guy wearing a Swiss automatic watch on the road, I can
almost guarantee.  I've always been a fop.  It comes from loving to play
dress-up as a kid, I think.  I haven't worn it yet, but I finally broke
down and bought a proper kilt too.

> I tweeted the link, who knows, maybe my small collection of followers
> will tweet it on and you'll go viral and sign record contracts and
> become rich and famous. Of course, then you can't have the blues
> anymore, so you'll have to subsist on guest appearances on Lady Gaga albums.
>
> ;)

It took a lifetime to come up with one good song, and I don't have much
hope of doing a world tour next week.  Also, the thing that makes me
interesting is I play everything myself, and that act doesn't translate
onto a stage.  Almost everything I do is put together with minimal
planning, and played stream of consciousness on the fly.

I find it really hard to get on the same page with other musicians.
Everybody wants to practice and play covers.  I guess I would do that if
I wanted to make other people happy, but I do music to make me happy.
If you don't like my stuff, that's fine.  I do what I do, and doing that
is the only reason I bother with any of this.

I'm too old and fat to be a rock star anyway.  The coke would kill me,
and I wouldn't know what to do with a willing woman.  I should probably
devote my next song to trying to get sex on the side as a married nerd
in the 21st century.  Spoiler alert, I never did get any.  Faithful by
way of a lack of options.  Maybe that will be my album title.

--
D. Michael McIntyre