On 8/8/19 10:34 PM, David W. Jones wrote:

I'm planning to move to a 4K laptop. Would it be possible to use SVG fonts/graphics for
layout? Or some way to set large font sizes? This whole antique "specify sizes in
pixels" thing is getting pretty tedious, even on my present HD (1920x1080) setup.

Rosegarden dates to a time when requiring a 1024x768 screen was a controversial move. Getting as much out of possible out of minimal screen real estate used to be the name of the game.

I haven't put any thought into fonts yet. The way Rosegarden uses fonts is pretty touchy and weird and full of legacy quirks, and getting it to behave well with vector fonts will not be simple.

What I have been thinking about is the icons. The horrible irony is that when I spent some insane number of hours remaking all the icons a few years ago, most of them were in a vector format before I committed them as raster images. The problem we used to have was half pixeling. This is hugely obvious on note stems, which want to be one straight line. If we stored the icons as SVG and left it up to Qt to rasterize them, they looked awful. That's why I manually diddled thousands upon thousands of pixels.

In the age of 4K, now we're looking at an entirely different set of problems. I don't have a 4K monitor yet, but I do have a 4K TV, and the writing is on the wall. This is going to be one of those things where if we don't fix it, Rosegarden is going to fade into history. I understand there are workarounds right now, but they probably look like crap.

I am thinking about this problem with the intent to roll my sleeves back up and do some work on this in the relatively near future. I haven't actually conducted any experiments yet, but I aim to do that sooner, rather than later. I figured I would start by doing a new set of SVG icons, and making sure they look decent on my standard 1920x1080 display.

I should get thinking about fonts too. Everything should scale nicely. The technology to do this is there, and we simply don't make use of it yet.

--
D. Michael McIntyre