On 18/02/21 15:46, Will Godfrey wrote:
What's the position regarding using Rosegarden with no audio at all?
i.e. Jack not installed, and Alsa either already fully committed, or no audio
hardware connected?

I haven't tried this here because I don't have a spare machine, and don't want
to risk screwing up my current install.

I never tried installing without JACK as it's always one of the first things I install on my systems, and I'm pretty sure most packaged versions of Rosegarden add it as a dependency. I am sure, though, that rosegarden *does* work without jack running... On a machine which is not 'audio-optimised' I sometimes just fire together with fluidsynth or Yoshimi running via alsa audio. I've also opened it at times without jack running to do some quick notation input.

You do get the yellow triangle and warning, but otherwise alsa midi works just fine.

One important setting to *uncheck* in this scenario is the one which has rosegarden start jack (in the Audio settings).

Also, I want to keep this as simple as possible, as it will be used by people
with little or no understanding of the underlying architecture. Mostly they
will be working in the matrix editor, although a few brave souls might
experiment with notation :P

You still need to have some sound producing something... like Yoshimi :-D and connect to that via alsa audio. You could probably create a Rosegarden template file which auto-loads for that. As mentioned in another thread I actually have one made for yoshimi (which btw has all the controllers in the panel removed...).

Lorenzo.