Is the purpose to resolve routing of Transactions or to know which
interchange data was routed?  I believe most of the community would like to
see the Transaction routing/auditing solved and to be able to verify where
the transaction went or where it is.  Therefore, the ISA isn't the only
vehical to solve ths problem.  ISA is simply the equivalent of allowing a
user to login to your environment, I don't understand how given the current
looping capabilities (multiple transactions from different submitters and
too multiple receivers) of the 837,  standardizing ISA information would
solve anything, unless the only means of transmission was point-to-point -
provider to payer (No CH's, Third Part Admins/Repricers, etc.).

If routing involves determining that all submitters data was properly routed
to the receiver, then routing involves just about any segment that contains
a Segment Control Numbers (possibly down to the detail) and ID's
representing the TP's (Submitter/Reciever). One purpose of the Control
Number I believe was to help manage routing and auditing - should we
accomplish getting all the TP's to conform to the the idea of properly
managing unique control numbers.

The anologie we often used was the routing of a 837 is like shooting a large
bullet down a barral that splits it into shotgun pellets. Then, what we
wanted to know was if each pellet hit their target. Now imagine 300 people
on the same firing range. Unless the target watcher knows what bullet the
pellet came from, we'll never know who hit what and route tracking is lost.

What makes this worse is when a target takes the pellet and either uses it
as a bullet (i.e breaks it into more smaller transactions) or combines it
with similar pellets from other guns (combines common claims for sending to
a payer).

In the end, we had to work with CH's and Payers to accept our Transaction
Control Number and use it to forward down the line, or if they generate new
numbers, we ask that they provide the cross-ref value so we could track it.

This is much like a FedX routing number, but the logistics is more like a
distribution channel and warehousing.

The elements we identified for our internal tracking were as follows:

File Name (because in our modle a file may contain multiple ISA's)

ISA Control Number

GS Control Number

Transaction Control Number

Transaction Date

Submitter ID

Receiver ID (transaction level)

I believe we combined Our Sender ID + Submitter ID + Reciver ID +
Transaction Date + Transaction Control Number to create a Global Unique
Routing Number (GURN) within our data structures and claim status reporting
system.

Our hope was to have any receiver of the data, echo back our our GURN,
letting us know their File, ISA, GS and Transaction Control Numbers.
Typically the receiver would very rarely if ever change the Transaction
level Submitter/Receiver (NAIC code) data.

Then we (and those in between) could build a table from those responses and
determine how far the transaction got, and whether it's made it's final
destination. We would keep such information on file for as long as the
customer or Trading Partner Agreement required.

This met with some difficulties, mostly due to the inability to maintian
referencial integrity between secondary TP's and the reluctance of TP's to
build this capability into thier responses (i.e. Unsolicited 277, or I here
theres an 824 and other possible EDI sets like the 242 that could now handle
this).

Also, if COT's can be transative, why can't TPA's?

How do payers handle TPA's with out-of-Network Providers today that wish to
submit electronically?

Ronald Bowron