Fortunately, we're not burdened in this sub working group with having to
answer the question whether individual trading partner agreements are
required to be executed by each possible provider-payer pair.  But it is
definitely an interesting discussion, so I'm looking forward to seeing
more of it - and its resolution - on the general Business Issues
listserve!

Certainly, HIPAA itself doesn't mandate TPAs, does it?  Because, surely,
that would be an impediment to "administrative simplification" - it
would just be simpler to send paper claims where the volume doesn't
justify the horrendous costs of executing a pairwise agreement.

Ronald Bowron quoted a snippet out of the final rule: "we interpret
HIPAA to mean that a health plan cannot refuse to conduct a transaction
because it is a standard transaction, ....."  A payer requiring an
onerously expensive TPA ($50??!! -that's a bigger money making racket
than the residential real estate appraisal business) before it accepts a
standard transaction could be construed as "refusal," couldn't it?

Why would an electronic claim need to be covered by a TPA when a paper
claim (containing the same information) wouldn't? - is it because each
electronic transaction would be missing the "signature," as if doctors
really sign these things themselves?  As Rachel has said, "[if] HIPAA
will end up forcing agreements between each provider and its payers,
then the questions about who should be identified on the ISA becomes
moot."  There would be no point in us spending our time figuring out
automated ways to share trading partner information (such as electronic
addresses) if paper TPAs were required: this information (the ISA
Identifiers and the electronic addresses) could just be placed on the
same (expensive) piece of paper.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320