William,

I know I sound like a broken record, but I doubt very much that many
providers will be dumping transactions into any VAN.  The norm will be to
dump the transactions into a clearinghouse.  Providers will probably have
direct connects to a few payers with whom they do a large amount of
business, but the rest will be via a clearinghouse.  In many cases, that
pre-packaged practice management system will send only to one place, the
vedor/vendor's-selected clearinghouse.  The software will force a
submission route that guarantees a revenue stream for the vendor (not that
I like it - it is reality - I have been in touch with at least 1 MAJOR
vendor with that plan).

I believe that there are two probable solutions for the batch/realtime
issue.  The majority of the solutions will either use separate channels for
the batch and realtime (different mailboxes), or different values in GS02
as suggested in the 270/271 guide.  I believe that you are correct that the
health plan should make sure that they handle the priorities, but I think
the solutions will fall into these 2 main categories.

I haven't looked at the ISB to determine its viability as a technical
solution.  The fact that it is not part of the HIPAA guides is not an
impediment, in my opinion.  The 997 and TA1 are in the guides, but
specifically not required as part of HIPAA.  The unsolicited 277 is not a
HIPAA transaction but at least some are planning to implement it as a claim
pre-adjudication edit report.  If willing trading partners wanted to
implement the ISB as a batch/realtime solution, that is outside of the
current scope of HIPAA and not a problem.  The only issue would be that a
health plan would not be able to require the ISB in order to accept an
otherwise compliant interchange.

Bob

                    "William J.

                    Kammerer"            To:     "'WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing'"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    <wkammerer@nov       cc:

                    annet.com>           Subject:     Re: Batch vs. Real Time
transactions

                    01/30/2002

                    11:28 AM

I hear what you're saying, Rachel.  But to put the burden on the (many
small) providers for solving a programming problem better handled by the
(fewer and bigger) payers and their (expensive) EDI translator vendors
would put another roadblock in the way of universal adoption of the
HIPAA standard transactions.  I envision the many (plebian) providers,
with their pre-packaged practice management systems, generating standard
transactions and dumping them into one funnel at their VAN. It's too bad
the ISA doesn't have flags or what-not for indicating batch vs.
real-time processing is requested - but it's the card we're dealt.

Instead, the payer's translator should be parallel enough, with multiple
threads handling any number of concurrent translations, so the issue of
a "276 or a 270 ....queued behind another interchange containing an 837
with hundreds of claims" is not a problem;  once the translator
determined it was dealing with a task involving a real-time inquiry, the
priority of that thread could be elevated.  There are all sorts of
programming ways to take care of these problems, and I don't think the
provider should be called on to perform gymnastics to avoid them for the
payer.   And it would not be just the provider who would be penalized -
how would the VAN know how to interpret entity addresses if a receiver
code could really be a receiver code, plus, you know,...well, special
flags?

The ISA06 and ISA08 sender and receiver "addresses" should be unique and
not overloaded with extra duty.  That's the only way they can be
interpreted unambiguously by all intermediaries.  In addition, all the
information needed for correct processing should be contained within the
interchange itself - between the ISA and the IEA - as a self-contained
package because it's too much to expect PM systems to support alternate
"channels" for conveying information to the payer.  And besides, the
provider can be anticipated to only have a single "conduit" to the
outside world - his VAN - the simplest model for supporting
inter-company exchange.

Actually, X12.5 does provide for the ISB - Grade of Service Request -
segment, which can be used as sort of an "addendum" to the fixed length
ISA;  I think relying on the ISB for differentiating batch from
real-time would be an acceptable compromise.  The ISB occurs before the
functional group is encountered.  Unfortunately, the HIPAA IGs don't
support it.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320