Ronald Bowron wrote:

   Having worked in several clearinghouse environments, I can
   tell you that the Sender/Receiver ID in the ISA was not used
   much and usually not relied upon for Batch processing, which
   is how clearinghouses typically do business.  Because users
   generally logged into BBS's or FTP'd data, we already knew
   who they were and managed the identity of the sender and
   assumed we were the receiver. - Why else would they be
   sending it -  ;)

As when using my ISP, it doesn't matter what ID I use for sending
e-mail: whether my personal account or my Novannet account, it all goes
through the same outbound SMTP server.  I could even send an e-mail to
appear to be from Kepa or Rachel to fool you all.  My ISP couldn't care
less, as is appropriate. They know who I am when I log on and that I've
paid my bill, and that is sufficient for their purposes. The e-mail ID
on the From: line in this e-mail only determines to where my
correspondents will send responses.

This is analogous to a real letter.  I doubt the phone company would
care if Ronald Bowron remitted his phone bill with my return address in
the upper left hand corner of the envelope;  that would not determine
which account was posted with his payment - the bill stub accompanying
the check would.  As a matter of fact, the envelope would probably have
been opened, discarded and shredded long before the payment was ever
processed.  The return address on the envelope would only be used by the
Post Office in case there were a problem in delivery, or to advise the
sender the contents were shredded in the sorting machine - similar to
the TA1 and 997 acknowledgements' use of the ISA sender ID.  In
addition, signatures may be based on the sender ID (i.e., the sender ID
is used to look up the certificate). But once an Interchange has been
received and authenticated by the receiver - and the 837 or whatever
extracted - nothing from the ISA determines who the submitting provider
is (that's in the body of the 837 itself).

Likewise, in a direct point-to-point connection with no intermediaries,
I suppose Ronald would know he was the receiver and would not have any
real need to make decisions based on the ISA receiver field, except
insofar that it should be turned around as the sender in the ISA of the
TA1 and 997 acknowledgements (so the other party knows how to reconcile
the acknowledgement).

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320