I doubt we have the time or wherewithal to develop a managed, virtual
private network (VPN) like the Automotive Network eXchange (ANX).  ANX
is a TCP/IP-based private network for the auto industry, and sounds
something like what you're proposing.  ANX has its advantages over the
hodgepodge of miscellaneous protocols, point-to-point T1s, and
proprietary networks now used between automakers and their suppliers.
But I wonder why they just didn't build it on top of the public
Internet.  ANX would probably say all the standard stuff, like a private
network can guarantee service levels (you always have to add the "for
mission-critical apps") while the public internet is only "Best-effort."
Or ANX is reliable, while the Internet is unpredictable.  And the list
can go on and on.

The ubiquitous internet already exists.  There's no reason to build a
new infrastructure when the existing one works. Every provider and payer
is hooked up - otherwise how could they get their e-mail and sports
scores? There are workable security protocols already in place.  There
are a number of transport and packaging protocols readily available:
EDIINT, e-mail with S/MIME, FTP, etc.   Even ebXML Messaging services is
on the horizon.

Private network or public Internet, you still need a "directory."  The
DNS "directory" Kepa is proposing, or an equivalent function for
"discovering" trading partners (such as Napster), is still necessary.
Unless I have a directory, how would I know to send claims for payer
so-and-so to this-or-that e-mail address or FTP directory?

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320