Chris Feahr agrees that "the core problem being considered by our group
is the addressing/routing of transactions."  But he still wants to keep
general discussion of identifiers open, and not just in the context of
the ISA sender and receiver fields.

I do think we will have to at least pay lip service to aspects of
identifiers as they're used in the application transaction set - if only
because applications will have to divine an ISA receiver ID from
something, and that something will be the various combinations of IDs
used today (within the application or the 837, say).  For example, to do
routing, a payer might need some way to find the provider's DUNS, HIN or
EIN - one of the ID domains allowed by the HIPAA IGs in the ISA.  We
can't say you can key on any combination of criteria (including plans,
contracts and line of business) to search for a (payer's) EDI address: a
VAN or EDIINT software, which don't burrow into the application
transaction, wouldn't have anything but the ISA receiver ID (and
possibly some stuff at the GS) for making routing decisions.  So keys
used (as nodes) in Kepa's DNS "directory" would necessarily be
restricted to ISA and GS information.

Speculation and discussion on the National provider and health plan
identifiers would best be left to the general Business Issues SWG.  It
doesn't do justice to such an important topic to confine it to our small
area.  After all, even if we had brilliant solutions to IDs in general,
who would think of looking in a subsidiary white paper of the
AFEHCT-WEDI Health Care Communications Security and Interoperability
project for an answer?

Given the amount of interest in the broader questions of Identifiers,
would it be premature to call for a new Sub (or is it Sub-Sub?) Working
Group under Business Issues to tackle this? - a sister group to ours, in
effect?   Kepa's Identifier myths and Chris Feahr's excellent
observations on the "plan" and "line of business" (and their possible
accommodation within the SBR segment) deserve a first-class forum for
discussion and investigation.  As a matter of fact, there's a Business
Issues teleconference today at 3:30 EST;  the telephone number is
703-736-7290, access code 1315330.  That might be an ideal opportunity
for me to bring up this issue.  Please join in, if you can.

As an aside, Dave Frenkel told Kepa he thinks "you are seeing
Congressional intent clashing with reality [w.r.t. National Plan and
provider IDs]."  Is there Congressional "intent"?  Congress has (some
would maintain unconstitutionally) delegated its authority to a federal
bureaucracy:  HIPAA is not just a good idea - it *might* even be the
law.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320