Today providers who use a CH complete 3 - 5 TPA/Enrollment forms - Medicare,
Medicaid, BCBS and Champus are payers that almost always require agreements.
In my experience it takes an average of 2 - 3 weeks for a CH to receive
completed paperwork from the provider and an additional 6 - 8 weeks for
approval from the payer (though BCBS often approves in 2 - 3).  It takes
providers as long to complete their part of the enrollment paper work for
these payers as it does for most to complete testing, implementation,
training and full production for payers who don't require it.  That's if the
enrollment process goes well.

Many payers are very particular when it comes to their agreements.  Some
require the signature of every physician in a group (imagine that if you
have 50+ physicians), most require a listing of every group number and
provider ID, some require social security numbers, some that the agreement
be sent in on a particular color of paper, others that only a particular
color of ink may be used and most will reject the agreement for any error.
Each agreement is proprietary.  It often takes 2 or more attempts before the
provider gets it right.  The whole process is an incredible hassle.

In other situations, the payer does not require a written agreement between
the provider and payer but does require the CH to obtain authorization.
This process, while still time consuming, is far easier than the one
described above.

I am strongly in support of TPA's combined with COT's and entered into only
by the parties directly exchanging data.  It also seems that some sort of
power of attorney between the provider and CH should be sufficient to allow
the CH to auto-enroll its clients with the payer, particularly for the
simple exchange of data.  More complicated data exchanges, such as EFT or
split routing, may require a more manual process but those exchanges are not
common today and not likely to be in the near future.   I stress that the
vast majority of payers today do not require any TPA or enrollment process
between themselves and physicians who bill through a CH.   These include
payers such as Aetna, Cigna, United Healthcare, Coventry Healthcare, Humana
and Prudential.  I'd suggest we look at their current model and find ways to
keep it.

AFEHCT is very interested in this issue and I believe is also planning on a
work group.

Marcallee Jackson
Long Beach, CA
562-438-6613