Bruce:

Actually, there is a very practical reason why payer-centric mailboxes
are not being considered in our recommendations. Not once in 4 or so
months had any payer (or anyone else, for that matter) brought up a
requirement for payer-centric mailboxes which need to be polled or
"pulled" from.  I believe the first explicit mention - ever - of
payer-centric mailboxes on this listserve was by Peter Barry in "Why CPP
is Needed," on 30 May, 2002.  And he was arguing for their demise!

We're not making the payer-centric model go away.  We just never
considered it!    Quite seriously, it's not for me to anticipate and
establish requirements for something I don't care about, and, indeed,
see as very damaging to the notion of equality for providers. The CPP
electronic partner profile we've been talking about all this while
includes the concept of one or more Deliverychannels (or EDI Addresses)
for defining one's own send/receive portals. The sender knows where to
send, or "push," interchanges by examining the EDI addresses in his
partner's CPP.  Of course, as we've long said, an EDI Address may well
point to one's own Clearinghouse; the "polling" arrangement the
subscriber uses to access a mailbox at his own clearinghouse is out of
scope for this project - there are probably as many or more techniques
for accessing and "polling" CH mailboxes as there are CHs!

But now that you've spoken up, even if you were to articulate
requirements for payer-centric mailboxes I doubt there's much we could
do to support them in the context of the ebXML CPP.   A lot of work will
be needed to accommodate "legacy" protocols and other requirements for
traditional EDI in the CPP DeliveryChannel, but that's really an
extension that ebXML has anticipated (though they initially only
included SMTP and HTTP).  On the other hand, the CPP is kind of passive
in that it just says if you've got messages for me, send them to one of
these portals (or DeliveryChannels or EDI Addresses), limited only by
various selection criteria and the intersection of common protocol
support on the part of either partner.

Yes, Peter is usually a very well-reasoned fellow.   Did you read the
EDI Communications Security and Interoperability Requirements, which
Peter offered to send out?  In it, Peter fully lays out the
justification for the "push" model, whereby a receiver is not "forced to
poll separate mailboxes at every possible sender to see if a
transmission should happen to be there."  Actually his view on this
issue predates my own by over a year,  judging by the date on the
report: 2000-12-31:  is this what Peter does on New Year's Eve?

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859
+1 (614) 487-0320