Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:07:13 -0400
To: WEDi/SNIP.ID.&.Routing[routing]@wedi.org.comp
From: William.J.Kammerer[wkammerer]@acm.org.comp
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Transactions Listserve: Unsolicited 277 in response to claim submissions

Here's a new one on me:  Cynthia Korman told us on the WEDI/SNIP
Transactions Listserve of NJ's HINT law.  How is the payer going to know
how to get the 277U back to the provider?  And what's this nonsense
about providers having to file claims on behalf of the patient?  What if
this is the first time the provider has ever dealt with the patient's
insurance company?  Is this another example of lawmakers writing rules
which are almost impossible to implement?  Will the Healthcare CPP
Registry be of any help here?

See the Health Information Electronic Data Interchange Technology Act
("HINT") at http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/pn01_63.htm.  Note especially:

   The Department also notes that the Act does not require
   providers to implement electronic systems for the
   processing of health care transactions. The Act merely
   states that 12 months after HINT becomes operative all
   health care providers shall file claims on behalf of
   patients unless the patient elects to personally file
   the claim. It should be noted, however, that the Act
   does provide incentives where providers file
   electronically. For instance, electronically filed
   claims must be paid in 30 days while paper claims must
   be paid in 40 days. Electronically filed claims must
   be acknowledged by payers within two days of receipt,
   and paper claims within 15 days of receipt.

Any discussion? Yoo-hoo!! Anyone? Or is this too far off-topic from the
usual run of anti-SPAM vigilantism?

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859