True "Open-edi" is far off in the future, and I think it is out of scope
for this project.  Completely re-architecting business processes for a
future HIPAA will have to wait awhile. There's a possibility I have
misused the term "Open-EDI" before, when I simply meant that the current
HIPAA law - along with a little bit of additional technology
implementing our recommendations - would provide the infrastructure for
providers, payers, Clearinghouses, TPAs, employers and other healthcare
players to exchange data without onerous preparation and "enrollment."

Today we must assume we'll be dealing with the old message-centric
"legacy" HIPAA standard X12 and NCPDP transactions.   Any discussion of
their replacement by ebXML Business Processes, XML or Web Services is
premature and unproductive.

We have clearly outlined our near and far term goals for this project.
It is not inconceivable that we will have a usable CPP electronic
partner profile available before H-day;  the CPP is nothing but an XML
document which describes a partner's capabilities, EDI addresses and
party identifiers, among other things.  And it's not quixotic to believe
we could even have a workable prototype of the Healthcare CPP Registry
before H-day either - especially with the help of our friends from the
US NIST.

The standard transactions (which we almost have in the form of the HIPAA
IGs), the CPP (near-term deliverable of this project) and the Registry
(a little bit further out) are necessary and sufficient for eliminating
many of the major friction points impeding the ubiquitous electronic
exchange of healthcare administrative data.

I believe that "full blown" Open-Edi currently has little to offer us,
considering our relatively modest goals.  But those "brave souls" who
actually will attempt to read the Open-Edi Reference Model might want
the newest draft now being balloted: ISO/IEC FCD 14662 Information
technology - Open-Edi Reference Model 2nd Edition (2002-05-16), at the
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 32 site via the pointer at
http://www.novannet.com/wedi/32N0830T.PDF.url.  If your browser doesn't
support IE shortcuts,  then manually access document 830 from
http://www.jtc1sc32.org/.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859