From: Christopher J. Feahr, OD [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2002 3:58 PM
To: William J. Kammerer; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The "Mao Zedong" PKI Model

William,
Thank you... this is the most lucid and understandable explanation I have
read on this subject!  It would seem that large payors are the ideal
Certificate Authorities (CA) for providers in the context of not only the
CPP registry, but of claims and payments.  The due diligence undertaken by
larger payors in their "provider credentialing" processes is
legendary.  This would seem to make them more trusted (to vouch for
identity of providers in the context of the health care industry) than
provider professional associations, who would have no other business
purpose for being so thorough.  Since payors have to perform this
credentialing task anyway... and since they would themselves benefit from
"certified" identity on claims, I would think that the providers could be
given certificates for little or no cost.

In fact, if all payors could agree on a universal (small) set of attributes
they needed "certified" (e.g., some want to confirm malpractice liability
coverage, levels of licensure, etc.) then one payor like CMS could perform
this credentialing operation very efficiently for all payors.  CMS would
seem to be in a good position to certify the identities of payors,
too.  There would be ongoing administration, of course, and the more
attributes that are certified, the more frequently the certificates will
expire and need to be recredentialed.  But this model would not  expose
anyone's "customer list", as it would if each payor (or CH, VAN, etc.) were
to only certify his or her own customers.

Does anyone know if CMS is contemplating this role in connection with the
nat. Provider ID?
-Chris

>There a number of other serious problems with the trusted third-party CA
>model. But you can read about them yourself in the available PKI
>literature.  I especially recommend Stephen Kent's "How Many
>Certification Authorities are Enough?" at
>http://csrc.ncsl.nist.gov/ecforum/comments/MILCOM_paper.doc.  Pay
>special attention to Kent's "Mao Zedong" PKI Model, which just might
>lead to an economical and safe solution for identity and trust in
>Healthcare.
>
>William J. Kammerer
>Novannet, LLC.
>Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859
>+1 (614) 487-0320
>

>discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the
individual
>participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board
of
>Directors nor WEDI SNIP.  If you wish to receive an official opinion, post
>your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at
>http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.
>Posting of advertisements or other commercial use of this listserv is
>specifically prohibited.

Christopher J. Feahr, OD
http://visiondatastandard.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]