From: Hipaa Guru Jr. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 5:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Fw: 276 routing question, esp. interested in Clearinghouse
guru's opinion

I believe I have interpreted the use of GS02 and GS03 in a different way.
The IGs state that these data elements are to be used to identify the party
sending/receiving the transmission.  And that these codes are agreed to by
the trading partners.  I took this to mean that party 'A' (the
Clearinghouse, Provider, etc.) would assign party 'B' (Payer) a unique ID
and that party 'B' would assign party 'A' a unique ID (Note: by Unique ID I
mean unique within the assigning party's system).  These ID's would be
exchanged when the Trading Partner agreement is established.  Then if there
was a need to differentiate transmissions sent using the same ISA ID (Fed.
ID Nbr) but from different offices, departments, etc.; they would request to
be assigned an additional ID for that use.

>From the prior posts, it would appear that my view of the use of the GS02/03
elements is way off.  Any thoughts on my interpretation are welcomed.

Keith Reichert
Senior Software Developer
Premier Data Software Inc.