From: William J. Kammerer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 11:12 AM
To: WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing
Subject: Of course, we could go on speculating forever about how GS03 is
used...

Of course, we could go on speculating forever about how GS03 (the
Application Receiver Code) is used today in the "real" world (as opposed
to the rarefied "future" world I inhabit!).  But other than Highmark, no
one has yet contributed information on how they go about using the GS
for internal routing.  As you'll recall, Highmark splits functional
groups off to different EDI "gateways" depending on whether "V" (vision
claims), "W" (if an institution is in its Western Region), or "C" (if in
its Central Region) is appended to its NAIC in the GS Application
Receiver Code.  If we had a couple more examples, then perhaps
manageable use cases might fall out of them.

I apologize if others, aside from Highmark, have contributed valuable
concrete insight regarding functional group processing - it's not
unusual for me to misplace stuff;  just re-send the information to the
list, or to me privately if you prefer.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859