Richard Walker, on 11 Aug, wrote:

> On 11 Aug 2015, at 18:26, Theo Markettos <t...@markettos.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:53:43PM +0100, Richard Walker wrote:

[snip]

> > > P.S. A couple of minor suggestions:
> >>
> > > 1) default the CPU to SA110, RAM to 128MB and VRAM to 2MB.
> >
> > There's not much advantage to being in SA110 mode.  There's also no
> > advantage to having VRAM.  It probably makes sense to have the default
> > settings the same as the Windows version of RPCEmu so things are
> > consistent. Should all versions move to 128MB RAM?
>
> The reason I mentioned the VRAM was because a note somewhere said that
> RISC OS 5 might show display corruption without it.

RPCEmu has been developed so that OS5 actually has 8MB VRAM with a setting
of 2MB. This enables 16M colours at 1920x1080. As far as I am aware there is
no actual snag with a less than 2MB setting other than less colours.

Similarly OS4.02 gets 4MB VRAM when 2MB is set.

> Also, I have found that with the ARM610 CPU emulation, RISC OS 5 is quite
> crash-happy.  From a clean-boot, if I wiggle around a filter window, it
> will crash with some silly ‘Filer may have gone wrong’.  SA110 is fine.
>
> Has anyone else found this?

As I understand it SA110 emulation is currently absolute requirement for
RPCEmu to run OS5, see :-

http://marutan.net/rpcemuspoon/ro5.html

> I’m sure I read somewhere that the SA110 emulation is the most extensively
> used and so the most developed/mature.  I could be mis-remembering.

I haven't heard that, as far as I am aware the other CPUs are fine with
OS4.02.

--
David Pitt