In message <747934817.371552.1629823670...@mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

>> 1/ Adapt RISC OS to QEMU. Problem: since QEMU is mainly a Linux beast
> QEMU is cross-platform and has been for a very long time.

I never say it's not.

>> 2/ Make RPCEMu and RISC OS 5 going closer. Would it possible to have a new
>> hardware type (Pheobe II?) with more possibilities, virtual hardware more
>> easy to emulate and a RISC OS version for it?
> Peter did mention this in his original email. In short, the main purpose
> of such a "new hardware type" would be ARMv7, which would be a vast amount
> of work for what would have to be a custom RISC OS build, for "hardware"
> which would not resemble any actual target hardware platforms in the
> slightest.

That's not my idea. I was more on simpler changes: a machine type with
some enhancements and a RISC OS 5 version to exploit them. But perhaps it
can be done another way (virtual podules that would propose new hardware
accelerated functionalities?).

Is there any documentation on how to make podules as the hostfs one and
compile them for RPCEmu (without compiling the whole beast)?

> Using QEMU to emulate something Pi-esque (and fixing the issues on QEMU
> preventing this from working) would be a _much_ better use of everyone's
> time.

Perhaps, but not a _much_ better use of my money. If I propose to fund
this kind of project, it's because RPCEmu can be compiled for RISC OS...
I'm not so sure about QEMU.

Since I have only a 44 year old UK OS on my desk, it's important for me.
But I'm probably wrong :)

> RPCemu is a RiscPC emulator, not an emulator of anything else - the clue's
> in the name!

I can see a Phoebe machine type too.

> And if anyone wants to develop RISC OS in the 21st century, there is no
> reason whatsoever it should be dependent on a single emulator of a 27 year
> old platform.

I have not a lot of problems distributing my software on this emulator of
a 27 year old computer (except the famous bug my clients and I seem to be
the only ones to have, but that's another story).

David