On Mon, May 28, 2007, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> [...]
> OK. Basically what I see is a XML format that can be used for parsing.
>
> That same XML format could be used as import to create a database if
> you wish.
>
> Name a database (presumably sqlite), define a schema, and I'll try to
> hand you
> a database.
>
> I have no love of XML parsers, prefer extraction from a database too.
>
> And rpm --query cares little whether its a database or XML or files
> or ...
> underneath. There are quite a few shortcuts I can take if/when
> implementing.
>
> Simplest to implement is likely to attach a CVE index using a header
> extension
> to existing packages.
>
> rpm --rebuilddb and headers will be indexed by CVE keys.
>
> If you want sql, a little more work, like a defined schema, will be
> necessary
> to create the database from VuXML as an import format.

Do I understand correctly, Jeff: you want for speed and query reasons
that a _local_ database specific to the currently installed packages
is built out of the global information available on a server for
_all_ packages, right? Ok, sounds reasonable. But I then think simply
attaching the information to the RPM headers of installed packages could
be really sufficient. OTOH on the server-side one certainly requires XML
as the import format and use a RDBMS to be able to deliver the queries
of the RPM clients in a speedy way.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com