On Jun 9, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

On Jun 9, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

I'll clean sweep the changes from rpm-4_5 and have on HEAD
by next weekend?

I should supply more details and start setting some explicit guidelines.

All changes on rpm-4_5 are -- in general -- going to end up on HEAD.

There likely will be some specific changes, like rpmrc compatibility,
that still will need careful negotiation on 4_5. ATM, I don't know of any
reason why rpmrc can/should remain, but "everywhere compatible"
is still being defined, and the final outcome is not up to me.

The path independence and %{_host_target} changes are very
twitchy because rpmrc icompatibility is still present. Since both
of those are desired on the 4_5 branch, I will get the functionality
largely in place there. Its not hard devel, just keeping track of
what macros are defined while bootstrapping through path discovery,
and I'd like to see it done simply, rather than recreating rpmrc all
over again again.

I'm knocking out the i18n debugging, and the type-punning on
the 4.5 branch, largely because I'd like to use the rpm-4_5
branch for 5.0 reference, and the changes are straightforward
enough (but noisy) that I'd like to just bang them into rpm-4_5 rather than
stare at the diffs all summer long.

I will likely merge both no i18n debugging and ISO C void * to HEAD this weekend.

Merging in vendor patches from 4_5 -> HEAD is the likely
entry point afaict, the reverse of what would expect with devel on HEAD.

Getting yaml rewired on 4_5, and updating neon to 0.26.3 or
later, are the only other short term issues that I'm aware of
wrto rpm-4_5 devel.

Does that help?