Talking about HEAD towards rpm5, not rpm4.x.  Ralf and me examined the
repository today.

We instantly applied the simple rule "do not put generated files into
the repo" at our sole discretion and cleaned up some things [1].  Hope
there is consensus on this item which is self-evident for us.

Next step was to dig into the libs where the repo carries copies of 3rd
party code.  The build process supports the use of either external or
internal libs. The internal libs carry RPM specific patches, rendering
use of the external libs likely useless.  Also configure picks up all
libs that exist, not supporting explicit enabling and disabling. Not
everyone needs DB and SQLite and elfutils are vastly useless on every
Unix but Linux.  A related issue is that vendor branch feature is not
used consequently.  The db code seems to have been unpacked and
committed as if it were a local app. It will be hard to merge the self
created patches into the next vendor import.

Assuming that local modifications are needed for the libs I recommend to
a) drop support for external libs entirely and stick to the internals,
b) teach configure to explicitly enable/disable features, c) revamp all
3rd party files to consequently use a vendor branch, enabling reimport
and local patch maintenance and d) stay close to upstream and properly
tag imports to weed out bugs and security incidents or at least have a
solid base to patch against.

Objections?

[1] http://rpm5.org/cvs/chngview?cn=8323 ... 8330