On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 04:01:13PM -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> >1)
> >%triggerin --posttrans -- /usr/share/icons/hicolor/*/*/
> >gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/hicolor
> >
> >This trigger can be triggered/folded/called either by dirname or by
> >glob pattern itself.  Since there is no way to pass the matching
> >dirname, which is limitation by itself, the only sane possibility
> >is that DIRNAMES triggers are triggered/folded/called by glob
> >patterns.
>
> You're worried about a package that has __LITERALLY__ a path
> that includes glob characters?!?

No-no-no.  I mean something else.  Driname triggers are called *per
what*?  They should be called *per matching dirname*.  On the other
hand, using glob patterns, there is no way to pass the dirname to the
trigger, so we fold matching dirnames *by dirname patterns*.

E.g. for
%triggerin --posttrans -- /usr/share/icons/hicolor/*/*/

Possibility #1) when dirname matches, call the trigger;
so the trigger gets called multiple times for e.g.
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/a/b/
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/a/c/
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/a/d/
etc.

Possibility #2) getting sober: no way to know which dirnames really
matched; call once for all matching dirnames.

My point was that, with glob-dirname triggers (which is what you
propose), I still cannot do what I need (actually what *they* need).
Triggers simply cannot have any specail "arguments" "that matched",
at least not now.

[... I need some time to study other points ...]