On Jan 17, 2009, at 9:28 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

One technique is to run a chain of free'd items to avoid calling
malloc repeatedly, a previously allocated item is reused.

The other technique is to change to a slab allocator API instead.

Anyone have experience with
        http://labs.omniti.com/trac/portableumem

Tools for looking at fragmentation, rather than leak detction, are
few and far between however. Anyone know of any good tools for
looking at fragmentation? Yes I know all the leak detector tools
quite well, I'm looking for something that will display statistics
on fragmentation, like largest available block in heap, and
identifiers attached to alloc's that are causing the fragmentation.

Hmmm, mallinfo(3) for glibc heaps should be enough to get an idea of what
the fragmentation issues are. I'll look at wrapping up mallinfo(3)
perhaps tied to a --memstats CLI option.