On Mon, Apr 13, 2009, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Ok, I'm still in the process of fixing RPM 5.1 for the release of 5.1.8
> and finally I'm now forced to deeper understand this change:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rpm-...@rpm5.org/msg04548.html
>
> Sorry, but despite our previous short discussion I still do _not_
> understand what actual problem is fixed here and additionally the patch
> is partly broken and causes new problems. Not even to mention that the
> introduced extra twist via rpmio and rpmmisc got the whole story even
> more complicated and without understanding me the necessarity.
>
> For me, Jeff, you had two problems:
>
> 1. PCRE vs. PCREPOSIX.
>    Ok, the _source_ of this problem (why for you PCREPOSIX _contains_
>    PCRE) is unclear, but I understand your problem. You want to link
>    just against PCREPOSIX now. Unfortunately your change to configure.ac
>    now means that for platforms where PCREPOSIX does NOT contain PCRE we
>    now miss to link against PCRE at all. So, here we at least have to
>    fix configure.ac but then we can keep your workaround.
>
> 2. The library dependencies.
>    This is the part of your dependency changes I do not understand. I
>    see what you have done, but I do not understand what the problem is
>    which should be fixed. Instead I see new problems caused by this
>    (currently building fails because Lua symbols are no longer seen
>    under at least FreeBSD and Solaris). This part of your change I
>    really would like to reverse. If then there _IS_ still a second
>    problem beside (1) above we can attempt a new fix from scratch. Would
>    this be acceptable for you, Jeff?

Ok, building with --with-pcre=internal seems to be broken since a
longer time as mostly everybody seems to build with an external PCRE
today. <rpmsx.h> uses PCRE and hence we need the PCRE CPPFLAGS mostly
everywhere, too.

Ok, I'm now doing the following: 1. I partly reversing Jeff's recent
Lua/PCRE library dependency twist and then 2. try to fix the Lua/PCRE
dependency issues in a less twisted way by using the approach from
previous ages but with the PCRE issues fixed. Hopefully I'm successful.
Let's see...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       r...@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com