On May 14, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:

btw. I noticed rpm building rpmkey & rpmxar by default now for
some reason? (didn't happen with HEAD)
How does one disable the build of these if headers missing?

One doesn't disable rpmkey or rpmxar or luac/luav or js or Berkeley
DB utilities or ... during build.

Remove from /usr/lib/rpm/bin if you don't want the executable.

The cost of the AutoFu baggage to configure the build is
already groaning from its own weight.

I figure that just placing it's code within #ifdefs gets a bit dirty
with the expected executable binaries to produce and all..
It's not like it's a big problem for me to make sure to have
what provides keyutils.h, xar.h etc. installed, I might as well
do that anyways, but I figure that regular users might not
be all that happy about it. ;)

You might instead actually look at what is in keyutils (and rpmkey)
rather than just saying Bloat! Bloat! Bloat!.

And if regular lusers do not know how to use rm(1), well adding
RPM AutoFu is unlikely to enlighten them further.

(aside wrto rpmkey)
Distributing with rpmkey MANDATORY is the only way  I can
see to automate signing packages. That is in fact what rpmkey
can do, add a per-session gpg key for retrieval by rpm.

All of this functionality is already in rpm-5.0.

And noone is using largely because they haven't looked and
the functionality is incomplete without additional executables.

And around and around and around we go ...

        Bloat! Bloat! Bloat! Bloat! Bloat! Bloat! Bloat!