On Nov 6, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Eric MSP Veith wrote:

>> So either revert on HEAD (ask if you need the cvs commands), or
>> make peace with the ruby AutoFu in rpm-5_3.
>
> I wasn't able to build with what was previously there, and I have no crude
> setup but a vanilly Ruby installed with standard paths on a Linux box. I do
> not know any other option that to query Ruby for its header and install
> paths, and since Ruby does neither provide a .pc file nor a ruby-config
> script, this is how it needs to be done. In the long run, I fear something
> like what I did has to exist. But I'm open to suggestions...

OK. I can/will drill in whatever AutoFu is needed.

But are you still targeting ruby-1.9.2? RPM and the rpmruby embedding
cannot go to rpm-1.9.2 without some moderately complex reworking.

OTOH, I suspect (from conversations like w exceptions) that you are on
a binding, not an embedding, path. The two approaches are subtly different.

The build for embedding and the build for bindings are rather different too.
The embedding portion SHOULD happen in -lrpmio, which is too low level
and too early in the build to access anything interesting in RPM libraries.

OTOH, bindings get built later, after all other RPM libraries are already built.

So:

1) Are you on a binding or an embedding path?
2) What version of ruby are you targeting?

If (my guess) you want ruby-1.9.2 bindings, then
the same split already done with, e.g. python:
        --with-python           <-- bindings
        --with-pythonembedded   <-- embeddings
needs to be done for ruby.