On Nov 10, 2010, at 5:43 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> Specific to diagnosing double free's ...

And specific to diagnoising RPM issues ...

Almost every object in RPM is essentially sub-classed
from a common base object.

This is "memory pools". And each pool has debugging
for ctors/dtors which is often sufficient to sort
out double-free's.

(aside)
You will have to figger how to set the debugging from ruby, but
that likely is quite easy ...

>From the rpm CLI, most of the ctor/dtor insturmentation
is tied to a debugging option.

There's too many options (like 40-50) to even consider
documenting, particularly since its the paradigm -- i.e.
the sub-classed memory pools with insturmentation -- not
all the options that are in need of understanding, and that's _NOT_
a man page.

Meanwhile look for "debug" in rpmio/poptIO.c and lib/popt*.c
to see what is available.

And then try a few commands, like
        rpm -qa --rpmtsdebug
to familiarize yourself with the insturmentation.

Then narrow down to what object appears to be at fault.

If you can narrow down the search space a bit, I can likely guess
what is happening.