2010/12/21 Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com>:

> On Dec 21, 2010, at 7:27 AM, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:
>
>> 2010/12/21 Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com>:
>>> Id there a compilation faulure here? Or just C fetishism? ;-)
>>>
>>> If there's a compilation failure, I'll adjust my own coding practices
>>> (aka fetishism ;-) accordingly.
>> Only with -pedantic -Werror.. ;)
>>

> Ah k, I tend to avoid -pedantic (too nit-picky, I have to use the compiler
> I have, not the compiler I want), and -Werror is Just Too Much Pain (I
> want to see all the issue, not come FULLSTOP on the next issue).
>
>> Just stumbled across it when enabling most warning flags (ie. such as
>> -Weffc++, -Wold-style-cast etc.)  I prefer to have enabled when
>> working on c++ libraries, as I played around with libdudf and I felt
>> unhappy when seeing so much C being done in C++.. ;p
>>

> What plans for -ldudf? The current mixture of JSON -> XML for an rpmdb
> is kinda qwazy. Sure you can do a full database dump into XML CDATA but ...
> why?
To be honest, no idea, I just initially went ahead and did the rpm5
porting as we had a package of libdudf in cooker, then  Stéphane gave
me a pointer to the the master branch and commit access and I went on
just giving it some extra care in the process of  commiting my changes
with some additional improvements...

IIRC the others seemed to prefer to have things done in rpm if the
alternative were
given, I briefly looked at the code of libdudf wrt. urpmi and was
thinking about perhaps merging it and introduce more proper support
already..
So if you have a better solution and can provide it through rpm, I
guess everyone would be more happy going through that route in stead
and I'll probably be able to adopt it in urpmi sooner as well.. :)

On these things, my oppinions and insight are rather limited beyond
doing some work on the stuff I know and can improve upon related to it
(in this case use and knowledge of librpm API and good C++&STL
knowledge, pretty much it for now), no time to dig too much below the
surface..
So any better suggestions, advice, and other alternatives handed to me
are more than welcome, you're certainly the expert on these things,
not me. :)

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind