On Mar 6, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> Under #ifdef RPM_VENDOR_MANDRIVA please.
>
> The problem you are trying to solve is with aliasing
> for a package identifier, which sometimes has
> Distepoch: and sometimes does not?
>
> If so the patch is mostly in the right place, but a "real"
> solution will be to decide on convention(s) for
>       RPMTAG_NAME             this is used solely for identification
>       RPMTAG_PROVIDENAME      this is used solely for assertions
> What is confusing is that those two usage cases have exactly the same string
> values, and adding Distepoch: has confused matters a bit (not in an important
> way).
>
> The convention(s) (that need to be finalized) are implemented
> when RPMTAG_PROVIDENAME is added to a header, not here, where
> you are essentially substituting one alias for the other
> where the real need (imho) is to split "identification" <-> "assertion"
> name spaces cleanly.
>
> Gud enuf for now, and until there's clarity on Distepoch: conventions.

Let me underscore what I think needs to be decided.

Distepoch: (and Disttag:) are adding "branding" identifiers. That's
fine for identification purposes.

WHat hasn't been decided is this:
        Do you want "branding" throughout assertions too?

i.e. should Distepoch: be added to all dependencies as well as to {N,E,V,R}.

Th benefit of adding is that RPM then continues with identically valued
strings for WYSIWYG meeting package monkey expectations.

The cost(s) of adding "branding" like Distepoch: to assertions are:
    1) all package dependencies written in *.spec will need to be changed.
    2) depsolver metadata is gonna increase in size with lots and lots of
        redundant "branding" strings.

There's no reason a priori why RPMTAG_PROVIDENAME MUST include Distepoch: except
to conform with expectations. Maybe I should encode all dependency strings in
EBCDIC
to prove that point ;-)

Either approach is fine. But atm its all kinda muddled and ad hoc and in need
of clarity.