On Mar 15, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> I got a report that RPM (here the older version 5.1.9)
> does not return a failure code (!= 0) on some operations
> where a failure code is strongly expected (and where
> RPM 4.x still returned a failure code).

Just starting to look ... will have a fix shortly.

> From the report:
>
> # openpkg rpm -i /tmp/asdf.rpm
> error: open of /tmp/asdf.rpm failed: No such file or directory
> # echo 0
> 0

The issue here is that the RPMRC_NOTFOUND return has 2 meanings from
overloading:
        1) end of rpmgi iteration
        2) element in the iteration wan't found.
Not impossibly hard to

> # touch /tmp/asdf.rpm
> # openpkg rpm -i /tmp/asdf.rpm
> # echo 0
> 0

And this one is just a bug from focussing on RPMRC_OK (== 0)
during implementation and testing for !RPMRC_OK instead of
the more specific RPMRC_FAIL (which as commonly used elsewhere
in RPM should lead to immediate exit).

Neither issue is very hard to fix, couple of hours max,
and I'll push all the way back to 5.1.9.

BTW, there's a 5.1.10 in SNAPSHOTS with a few minor
changes (was related to NSS FIPS-140 iirc, I've forgot)
that I'll look at, and perhaps its time to push out
a 5.1.10 "officially".

hth