wrong sender.. fgrf

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Per Øyvind Karlsen <peroyv...@mandriva.org>
Date: 2011/4/11
Subject: Re: [CVS] RPM: rpm/ CHANGES rpm/lib/ librpm.vers rpmds.c
rpmds.h rpmfc.c
To: rpm-devel@rpm5.org

2011/4/11 Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com>:
> I knew I'd seen this symlink patch before:
>
>        https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-devel/2006-April/001037.html
>
> I did not like the patch the first time, and I don't like it 5 years later.
>
> I will rework the issue under #if RPM_VENDOR_MANDRIVA across the board.
>
> Note that the rule (already implemented except you've turned it off)
>        All symlinks depend on their end-point.
> not only covers the special case of ELF libraries (when the symlink is
> explicitly "owned" by a package), but all other cases of symlinks to
> end-points in other packages. Yes you will need to teach URPMI and other
> depsolvers about symlink end-points constructed from RPMTAG_FILELINKTOS
> data, very not hard.
>
> The only remaining "feature" is the explicit
>        Requires: devel(whatever)
> added to metadata. I fully realize the difficulties
> of transitive closure in "dependency hell", but hey, lets not
> go around in circles all over again.
>
> Note that the rule I've stated requires zero additional metadata,
> the linkto dependency is constructed on the install box from the symlink
> end-points that are already in metadata (but you're likely choosing to
> disable that functionality some 4? 5? years after being implemented).

Hm, I suspect you're misunderstanding the purpose of the devel() dependencies..

They're not in place for adding dependencies on where symlinks points at,
but rather as an identifier for where 'symlink to SONAME ending with
.so in filename'
is considered as being part of a devel package, hence the
devel(soname) provides,
with requires added for all devel(SONAME) found under DT_REQUIRED (so it's more
dependencies related to what libraries linked at rather than symlinks
endpoints to).

These are actually quite convenient dependencies added, as it prevents having to
manually add dependencies on other -devel packages in the -devel package that
it usually tends to depend on.

I'm okay with the helper beng disabled by default, but I really don't
see any good
reason for moving it under #ifdef mandriva, that would be a step away from
any attempts at vendor neutral approach IMO.

The devel() dependencies are way more useful in real world cooker usage than ie.
the pkgconfig() etc. dependencies at least to my experienec..
--
Regards,
Per Øyvind