On May 22, 2011, at 10:05 PM, Robert Xu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> SuSE doesn't like using an internal generator. Figures.

SuSE and Mandriva just gotta be different yes.

The difference is at the product level with multilib, not in how
packages are built. The internal ELF generator is known reliable
for years, just SuSE and Mandriva can never figger that out.

The core issue to watch out for is -- if not using the internal generator --
that the rpmds data gets sorted somehow. That is/was one of the reasons
for the implementation (not multilib).

But if y'all want linear behavior instead of logN with bsearch,
well vendors can run as SLOWER and S-L-O-W-E-R as they wish, not my
problem mon.

> Can %_perl_provides and %_perl_requires, and %_python_provides ...
> etc... be omitted?
> Because AFAICT, SuSE just uses regular find-provides and find-requires.

All depends on what is implemented in find-provides/find-requires. What's
in rpm5.org sources hasn't been looked at (by me) for 6+ years now, caveat
emptor.

You CAN add a sort there ... someone tell Mandriva please.

Yes %_perl* et al can be ignored if find-provides/find-requires are written
correctly.

Note that there is /usr/lib/rpm/bin/rpmdeps --provides,-P and --requires,-R that
can be dropped into find_provides and find_requires too. That's basically
what Poky/Yacto is doing, building without using *.spec files (yes *.spec files
are used for templating the packaging but not for building).