Given your project's interest in next-generation packaging, I'd like to
present you with my technique. This is not a new rpm-building method, but an
idea that has been in (concealed) production since about 2-3 years.

The news, now, is that I have a public server which automates the builds and
(most important) allows anybody to examine the logs and procedure.

http://pefnos2.homelinux.org:8020/

The idea, as some of you may have already discussed/thought of is to build
software packages (RPMs) directly from the source of the project. More over,
use the VCS to help with packaging, providing the version etc. Automate,
eventually.

Under the "Packages" group, there, you will notice that the
repositories+branches of some projects participate in the "build series".
Whenever these source branches receive a new commit, the bot can proceed and
build an RPM package. Just like that, no need to extract sources, maintain
patches etc. The spec file, of course, is included in the sources and
maintained in the same manner as the code itself.

Please consider this design, love or hate it, follow it or learn from my
failures.. :D

Regards to all!

--
Say NO to spam and viruses. Stop using Microsoft Windows!