On May 4, 2012, at 4:05 AM, Pinto Elia wrote:

>    CLEANFILES definition had a typo

Thank you!

Yes this was the easy fix (that I wasn't seeing).

Still the comment here is indicative that the entire approach
@rpm.org is/was horrendous overkill

        # Modified to use sha1sum instead of cmp to avoid a diffutils
dependency.

So all of this implementation was tortured to "prefer" sha512 simply
to confirm to the dreadfully uninformed Fedorable Packaging Polizia.

Avoiding a dependency on diffutils MIGHT have been resolved
by putting cmp(1) into its own package: diff(1) isn't exactly "bloat" either.

(aside)
Fascinating (to me) seeing how package monkeys adapt to externally
imposed constraints. Its kinda like cheese in a maze or sugar in an ant
farm, where swarms of soldiers struggle to solve simple problems "correctly".

Meanwhile its likely time to attempt a general solution to hardlink
identical content both before packaging in rpmbuild, and during
installation in rpmlib. The needed file digests to identify identical
content have been in place for years, the RFE from Russ exists,
and the only remaining implementation need would be to be
able to disable the mechanism on a per-path basis so that sysadmin's
editing a hardlinked file don't accidentally alter initially identical
content without creating a copy and breaking the hard link.