On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Jeff Johnson <n3npq....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should point out that writing the attached
> message (and sending from the wrong e-mail address) has instantly
> led to a different -- and perhaps more natural -- syntax like
>
> Requires: set(libfoo.so.1) >= whatever

Hello,
Set-versions are just that - versions. One must arguably think of them
in terms of VERSIONS. If you need a library, it is a legitimate
question to ask which version you need. If you think you need the
version at least 1.0, there's a good question: why the heck you think
you need the version at least 1.0 (and whether 2.0 would still fit).
With set-versions, things get straightforward: you need at least a
version which provides <foo, bar, baz> API symbols - that's much
better a description of a library than a god-damn arbitrary number.

There are some philosophical implications of introducing set-versions,
in particular, whether it can be extended to describe prototypes and
calling conventions (e.g. the number of arguments which must be passed
to a function). This is why I might seem reluctant to participate in
discussions. I'm thinking! (And perhaps I'm arrogant.)