On Aug 26, 2013, at 2:19 PM, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:

> The following patch fixes querying rpmdb with wildcards, whereas without this
> fix, it'll return all entries and not just those matching.

The issue of wildcard queries is/was discussed years ago when implemented, and
the  behavior
implemented is/was as decided (for "legacy compatible" and "principle of least
surprise" reasons)
at the time.

Discuss the feature, providing explicit usage cases and tests, under the
existing CI framework
if you wish the patch applied "upstream" @rpm5.org. I need to see "consensus",
not "de facto",
before enabling "wild hacks" (other than my own) in RPM releases.

I personally have no interest in enabling foolish/sloppy queries on a random
"feature" walk through
patch streams of unknown viability, and poorly understood consequences,
@rpm5.org, particularly
when I am obligated to do the maintenance work to respond to future flaws and
objections of other people's
efforts.

Last I heard you were too discouraged to undertake the reasonably sane
effort(s) that
are needed ... YMMV.

Short answer (which I have said many times already):
        A blueprint at http://launchpad.net/rpm is the starting point for new
"feature" deployment.