On Aug 26, 2013, at 2:30 PM, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:

> This patch fixes compatibility with ruby 1.9.

There are far far far deeper issues with ruby 1.8.x != 1.9.x behavior
that need to be addressed.

There is no "consensus" (no even a goal) stated that might lead to
a more useful implementation. Instead there are gobs of macro magic
glue to enable/disable and otherwise diddle up band-aids to a fundamentally
flawed approach.

Please read my comments (Sept 2009 iirc, +/- a year, was September)
on <rpm-devel@rpm5.org> on fundamental design differences between
"embedding" (as undertaken by me @rpm5.org) and "bindings" for a build
system in ruby (as my existing implementation was (ab)used for).

I see no rational way to extend RPM+RUBY usefully and portably by
applying Yet More Macro Madness (in distro-du-jour dialect), with
known and large differences in "embedding" behavior between
ruby 1.8.x != 1.9.x implementations, particularly when all the
cool kids interest is in creating a native ruby packaging system,
not in devising more "standard" ruby *.rpm packaging.

YMMV

73 de Jeff