I'd love to apply this patch, but the ensuing "legacy compatibility"
discussions would eat months of my time.

So I choose my battles wisely, and won't apply the patch.

tracking dependency is a polite euphemism for I-N-C-O-M-P-A-T-B-I-L-E
invented to distract LSB (and others) from recognizing an incompatibility
per-se.

It truly the wrong engineering to mark all future packages forevermore with
an unresolvable dependency simply to deploy a (usually necessary)
incompatibility.

Otherwise "tracking dependencies" -- particularly with no coordination
between multiple forks/versions of rpm around -- are merely a pleasant fiction.

73 de Jeff