No interest because already there are huge amounts
of breakage making *.spec files tied to per-distro choices
of what compressor to invoke.

I have to fix issues like this in nearly every Fedora package I look
at, to replace explicit suffixes with a glob in %files manifests.

Maintain outside of rpm as you wish: what compression is chosen
by various/sundry distros isn't a solvable problem imho.

73 de Jeff