On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 08:20 -0800, James Olin Oden wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 8:54 AM, James Antill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 11:15 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > > Do you like the perform an lvm-snapshot in pre-trans and allow rolling
> > > back in post-trans as reliable rollback method?
> >
> >  The problem is that while FS LVM snapshot+rollback might be reliable
>
> Please explain your reasoning.  I don't get why its untenable.

 Because you can't guarantee that rpm is the only thing accessing the
FS. Indeed some things, like logfiles, are pretty much guaranteed to be
changing the FS. So unless you had complete FS transactions that you
could rollback, and made sure all the things rpm did was within a
transaction, rolling the entire FS back is worse than the problem IMO.

--
James Antill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Red Hat