On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Linda Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Florian Festi wrote:

> holmes86 wrote:
>
>> Appear error message "Failed dependencies" When I install rpm package with
>> --aid option under FC8.
>> why?
>>
> ---   Hey holmes, I'd sorta like to know that too...:-)

 Don't do that. --aid is no longer supported (the database used to
> resolve the dependencies is no longer shipped) and this feature is not
> working well anyway and will removed from future versions of rpm.

----
 Does 'rpm' read the user's ~/.rpmmacros file in addition to the
machine's /etc/rpm/macros file?  "rpm-cache" appears to
use the values in ~/.rpmmacros

 Use "yum install foo" instead. Yum is working on the packages actual
> available and is able to download them on demand. It is also possible to
> give rpm files to the yum command line.

----

  yum install foo

: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (101, 'Network is unreachable')>
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: %s.
Please verify its path and try again
------
 yum doesn't appear to understand the rpm macros file. Are you sure
it is supposed to work with the rpm commands and databases?  Is it
even compatible with the rpm data and macro files?

for the compatibility questions, yum use the rpm-python api in large part.
For the repo and the like look to the yum docu. In RHEL5 yum is default
installed and exists yum-rhn-plugin for contacting the rhn repo
trasparently.

hth