Didn't expect a new version this soon? Frankly, we didn't either :)
In the months that RPM 4.6.0 spent in stabilization phase of numerous release candidates we had plenty of time to work on new things, and as things have been fairly stable for a while now, it started looking like a good time to cut out a release.

By far the most visible improvements over previous versions are in the area of performace:
- Memory consumption in transactions has been reduced dramatically.
  A testcase of "everything install" of Fedora 10 used to top at near
  1.5GB memory consumption, now the peak with the same package set
  is just over 300MB. Also gone is the quadratic memory consumption on
  large number of identical basenames. After the peak during Preparing-stage,
  heap consumption drops to mere megabytes during the actual transaction.
- File conflict checking / fingerprinting runs an order of magnitude
  faster, especially for upgrades and erasures.

There are of course lots of other improvements and fixes too, for more details (and download information) see the draft release notes: http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.7.0

On behalf of the rpm-team,

        - Panu -