Mark Hatle wrote:
> I believe conflicts has been used for this purpose in the past.  While it's
> not
> an automatic replacement, it does alert the admin to remove the custom
> package,
> and replace it with the distro package that is conflicting.

It does not work.

Once in past your user replaced libfoo by libfoo-mybranch (it's easy:
adding provides/obsoletes and using a smart package management tool,
like "zypper dup").

But the way back is impossible. Conflicts will not help, because package
manager does not know that libfoo-2.4 is a successor of
libfoo-mybranch-1.3, it continues to support libfoo-mybranch-1.3. The
conflict does not change anything - user has to know that the
libfoo-mybranch become obsolete and libfoo is the way to go.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer