>I see a couple of further problems with this:

>- runLuaScript() will leak memory and a file descriptor if
>rpmpluginsCallScriptPre() fails.

Sorry, will fix.

>- For external scripts the hooks run on different sides of the fork():
>pre-hook runs in the forked child, post-hook in the parent, so parent will
be unaware of anything occurring in the pre-hook.

Yes, but we can't run it in the parent, because how then we setup the
security context on forked process?

>I'd prefer the hooks called from rpmScriptRun() already so there would be
exactly one place where to deal with them, but whether that would actually
work is a different question entirely...
Would look nice from code point of view for sure, but I can't figure out a
way to do it currently...

>External scripts have a lengthy setup sequence in the child between the
>fork() and exec(), including a call to rpmExpand() on
%_install_script_path. Which should not, but technically could, have a
shell-invocation in it, which would cause a fork() + exec() of its own which
would cause (at least in case of SELinux) the exec context setup to go to
wrong address. It should be possible >to move the rpmExpand() into parent
and just pass the path as an argument to doScriptExec() though but just goes
to show how the kind of minefield this is.

Oh, shell invocation isn't good at all in this case: it will be invoked with
all rpm privileges :( Is it an intended feature or smth that we can try to
limit? I have been thinking of this just as a way to load configuration, but
it seems to be a worse case.

>Internal scripts present different problems: as it is now, there's not much
difference between calling hooks from runLuaScript() and rpmScriptRun(), but
if we assume they'll get forked in the future, any security context switch
would have to happen after the fork. Which inevitably causes the same
>asymmetry with pre- and post-hooks as there is now with external scripts.
True, but how much does the parent needs to know about it?

>One way to address it would be having an "unpaired" post-fork (or pre-exec
if you like) hook that explicitly runs in the child process, which basically
is what we have now in the script setup hook. Which then begs the question:
what exactly are the new script pre- and post-hooks supposed to be used for?
>Ok, I can imagine eg logging plugin wanting to do something in both of
those, but...

Yes, I am starting to lean towards 3 set of hooks for scripts: symmetrical
pre-post in parent (nicely combined in rpmScriptRun) and separate Setup hook
in child. The purpose of child hook would be to setup security context, the
pre-hook can be used for initial screening (IMO important part too), like if
we even want this particular  script from this particular package to run (I
can even think of passing script content to it, if we want to scan it for
malware patterns, but this is probably too futuristic), and post hook can be
used... hm... (trying to think of security reason)  maybe just simply for
verifying how did it go and cleaning up (can't find really any specific
reason now)

What do you think? Should I then change the patch to add two hooks in
addition to current one and move them to rpmScriptRun() for clean view?

Best Regards,
Elena.