Actually, what I'm trying to do is the following, may be you have an advice for me: I'm running RHEL-5, I found it the most stable and secure Distro that runs smoothly almost all the high-end simulation and 3D applications that I'm using intensively, the problem is that there are dozens of simple but important applications/utilities that requires higher versions of glibc and python, those that where supplied as rpm packages that requires newer versions of the RPM to be installed! So, I decided to build a custom system installation that satisfies all my needs. I manually forced upgrade glibc with a version that gives 2.6 and 2.7 without breaking the system dependencies, and I compiled python-2.7.2, and now my system runs really great! and I can run those new applications smoothly.

The only one thing that I'm suffering from is that I have to manually extract and install them since they require higher signature of fileDegist, payload and rpm compressing... for that I decided to upgrade to RPM-5 to be able to install them regularly using the RPM Packager.

Any advices about that! are there an easy way to let the RPM source compile both of the i686 and x86_64 bit.

What I'm confused about, is that the RPM has many dependencies, and I don't know which one of them should be compiled for both i686 and x86_64 and which needs to only compile for x86_64.

Regards,
Belal